Telephone: +203 255 4686
Carleen Lyden Walker is a marketing and communications professional in the commercial maritime industry with over 35 years of experience. As founder and President of Morgan Marketing & Communications, she specializes in identifying, developing and implementing strategic marketing and communications programs that increase her clients’ revenues. She is also Co-Founder and Executive Director of NAMEPA (North American Marine Environment Protection Association), an industry-led initiative to “Save our Seas”.
Utilizing her network of domestic and international contacts, she can drive corporate growth across borders and time zones. These relationships include:
- Ship owners/operators and other vessel owner/operators
- Bankers and financiers
- Ship managers
- Classification societies
- Insurance executives
- Regulatory, organizational and association representatives
In her 36 years of professional experience, including over 20 in shipping, she helped her clients develop business, reorganize and reposition their corporations, improve strategic planning, and manage sales. She has provided market and financial analysis, corporate communications initiatives (advertising, public relations, investor relations and crisis media management), product and services development, and event management.
Typical of her successful projects are the following:
- Developing and implementing a marketing program which increased a ship management company’s business by 35%
- Growing the Connecticut Maritime Association’s annual conference by 25 % annually
- Increasing sales force revenue by 43% for a national media sales organization
- Conceiving and producing The Shipping News, the maritime industry’s first television program
- Managing media relations for a critical shipbuilding program
- Crisis media training, program development and implementation
- Corporate communications program for a privately held company which was sold within one year for more than double its initial purchase price
- Co-founder and Executive Director of NAMEPA (North American Marine Environment Protection Association)
- Executive Director of NYMAR (New York Maritime Inc,)
- Development consultant for NAMMA (North American Maritime Ministry Association)
- President Emeritus of the Propeller Club Port of New York/New Jersey
- Press officer for WISTA (Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association)
- Co-Founder of the Merchant Marine Policy Coalition
- Co-Founder of the Consortium for International Marine Heritage
Carleen Lyden Walker graduated from Wellesley College with a BA in Political Science and History (minor in Economics) and studied Accounting at Cornell School of Business Administration. She is a member of Intertanko, WISTA (Press Officer for International and WISTA USA), the Connecticut Maritime Association, the Propeller Club of New York/New Jersey (President Emeritus), the Marine Society, and The National Press Club. Carleen serves on the Board of Trustees of Sea Research Foundation, the Coast Guard Foundation, the Coast Guard Auxiliary Association, the Maritime Industries Academy (Baltimore Harbor School), Young Mariners Foundation, and the Working Harbor Coalition, She is a trained facilitator and media trainer and held a USCG 100-ton Captain’s license.
In 2010, she was awarded the Certificate of Merit by the United States Coast Guard and in 2014 a Public Service Commendation for her work on World Maritime Day and AMVER791, respectively.
In June of 2017, Carleen Lyden Walker was elected to the Board of Directors of Gibbs & Cox, Inc., a leading independent naval architecture and marine engineering firm.